Sunday 6 September 2009

Raggy Dolls: Helping ugly people feel good about themselves since the 1980s

This was a show I used to watch when I was a little girl. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking the piss here. I understand that the show was teaching kids not to make fun of the rejects. Just because they belong in the reject bin doesn't mean they are sitting ducks for school yard taunting... or something like that maybe I missed the point.



One part of this song had me asking questions when I knee high to grasshopper:
So if you got a bump on your nose or a lump on your toes, do not despair.
Be like the Raggy Dolls, and say I just don't care!

Yes you could say, "I just don't care." Or you could go see a doctor and get the lump on your toes checked out. It could be this. Lets be honest, what sane person wouldn't see a doctor if they had a random lump on their toes? Any person not seeing a doctor when such symptoms occur, really do belong in the reject bin.

And as for the singer going on about "Dolls like you and me," I think he should really be a little more careful about which children he's referring too. If I found my child singing along to, “don't be scared if you don't fit in. Look who's in the reject bin!” I would be mortified. I would like to think that my spawn will at least try to fit in or failing that, make like their mother and slip out of the country while the goings good!

So all together now, big it for the Raggy Dolls and their message of; it's cool to have your head on backwards, be a transvestite princess (Listen to her voice,) have a name like Sad Sack and be friends with an obnoxious French person/doll!

No comments:

Post a Comment